Computers pose several unique challenges when the time comes for their disposal. Like many electronics, computers contain heavy metals that can become environmental hazards when disposed of improperly.
Things to do Before Disposing of Your Computer
- Back up important personal data.
- Permanently remove all personal data from the computer.
- Choose an option for disposal.
- If reusing, selling, or giving away your computer, clean it.
METHOD 1 : REUSING YOUR COMPUTER
- Use your computer as a small file server.
- Keep your computer as a backup
- Consider installing a lightweight OS like Linux.
- Use your old computer as a router.
METHOD 2 : SELLING OR GIVING YOUR COMPUTER AWAY
- Attempt to sell it.
- Give your computer to a friend.
- Give your computer to someone with minimal computing requirements.
- Contact a school, non-profit, or philanthropic organization.
- Give it to a willing stranger.
METHOD 3 : DISPOSING OF YOUR OLD COMPUTER
- Contact the manufacturer.
- Trade your computer in when you buy a new one.
- Use a computer recycling or disposal firm.
- Salvage any usable parts before disposal.